CONTACT Hamilton, of Hamilton Ontario is an entry point for services for children, youth under 18 who have social, emotional, behavioural or psychiatric and/or development concerns, and for adults with developmental disabilities, and who live in Hamilton, Ontario.
According to their brochure…. CONTACT Hamilton provides:
- Information about available services
- Central intake and referral
- Coordination of services
- Planning for the children’s and developmental services systems
The brochure continues…Who Can Refer To CONTACT?
- Anyone can contact us directly. This includes the person in need of services, a family member, school personnel, physician or community agency. A physician’s referral is not required.
- There is no fee for Contact’s services. Contact Hamilton is funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.
Over the past several years, while raising mentally disabled grandchildren, I have used this service many times to either register the children for services, or to gather information appropriate to their needs. While the staff are extremely helpful and the service does not necessarily require a visit to the CONTACT office for an interview, I found assessing my grandchildren’s behaviours via telephone interviews difficult as the focus is upon each child’s development and mental health. Plus, over the years, after having been acclimatized to my grandchildren’s challenging behaviours I might have unintentionally downplayed their problems. Upon the realization that this could possibly be causing my grandchildren to be exempted from programs they deserved and required, I learned to be more assertive with my answers during phone interviews.
For more information on services, call CONTACT Hamilton at 905-570-8888